Position Announcement - External Relations Lead
Role: External Relations Lead
Organization: Apparel Impact Institute
Reports To: President
Location: Remote (United States or Europe preferred)
Apparel Impact Institute (Aii) is a nonprofit collective founded in 2017 by four industry leaders: the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), the Sustainable Trade Initiative (IDH), Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC) and Target Corporation. The organization emerged organically as a result of a real need that apparel brands and retailers self-identified. Gap Inc., PVH Corp., Arvind Mills, HSBC, GIZ, Stichting Doen and Schmidt Family Foundation joined the founders in the first three years of start-up and organizational development.
Aii identifies, funds, and scales proven quality solutions to accelerate positive impact in the apparel and footwear industry. Aii programs focus on areas that result in positive environmental impact from the production of apparel and footwear products to improve the industry. Our current strategic focus is climate action, in helping the industry reach their Science Based Targets commitment.To learn more about Aii, visit https://apparelimpact.org .
The External Relations Lead is a key leadership position reporting directly to the president and will lead initiatives in 3 primary areas:
● Marketing & communications – build and execute brand, strengthen marketing and communications
● Development and Fundraising – prospect, manage and expand philanthropic relationships with foundations, family offices and corporate giving
● External Ecosystem Strategic Partners – foster strategic partnerships, influencers and other stakeholders
The position is critical to the fulfillment of Aii’s mission as we execute our strategic plan to help the apparel ecosystem address the climate crisis and other critical environmental impacts. The External Relations Lead will be Aii’s brand champion across the organization’s ecosystem. They will cultivate productive internal and external relationships across key stakeholder groups, and lead and influence across functional teams effectively. The successful candidate must be able to translate strategic plans into specific short- and long-term objectives and define metrics and accountabilities.
● Lead Marketing & Communications Efforts, including;
○ Position the president and other Aii leaders to interface with the media and other key influencers such as foundations, nonprofits, government and regulatory policy makers, associations, business leaders and other key stakeholders
○ Design proactive media, PR and thought leadership strategies to stimulate media interest, build brand awareness and convey Aii messages
○ Ensure regular contact with targeted media and timely responses to requests (in conjunction with contracted consultants/agencies as appropriate)
○ Support all aspects of internal and external communication
○ Manage all marketing and comms resources including agency relations
● Guide & Manage Fundraising Operations, including;
○ Work closely with leadership to raise significant philanthropic and industry engagement and reach financial targets ($250M goal over next 8 years to 2030)
○ Own and manage relationships within environmental (and apparel) fundraising
○ Creation and implementation for fundraising/business development strategy
○ Partner to identify alliance opportunities
○ Creates concept notes, LOIs and complete applications
○ Project manages annual fundraising timeline to ensure on-time completion of overall grant writing and submission process
○ Create and write reports to meet philanthropic grant requirements
○ Implement and manage effective partnership tracking systems and tools (e.g., leveraging Salesforce, Asana, Google suite, etc.)
● Manage Strategic Stakeholder Relations , including;
○ Assist the president by coordinating key external audiences and ecosystem partners. Implement Aii’s ecosystem leadership strategy by representing the organization in various industry groups
○ Establish a “convener strategy” to actively engage key stakeholders (beyond the industry) and elevate Aii’s research and national thought leadership role. This includes designing an overall marketing and communications outreach strategy, as well as participation in key forums and groups that promote awareness and use of Aii resources and programs
○ Create and manage a network of strategic partnerships and alliances in support of Aii’s key priorities to identify, fund, scale and measure proven solutions, in alignment with our Climate Solutions Portfolio and Fashion Climate Fund
○ This person will manage our donor collaborative funding working group with our partners (including Fashion Conveners and Apparel Alliance partners). including fostering advocacy for research, ideas, and programs
○ Translate ideas and insights into actionable programs, initiatives, thought leadership and research projects with specific and measurable outcomes
○ Working with input from leadership, this person will manage communications and presentations for our Board of Directors, Apparel Impact Roundtable and other strategic advisory groups
● Track performance against the organization’s identified and approved OKRs (Objectives & Key
Results) – leveraging data, analytics and insights to determine program and initiative success. Understand and track the effectiveness of strategic relationships, key fundraising efforts and marketing/ brand initiatives within the OKRs and other tools
Salary and title will be commensurate with level of experience. Aii offers a generous employee benefits program that includes vacation, sick and holiday leave; health, dental and vision insurance; contributions to retirement plans; competitive salary; and a host of additional benefits.
To apply please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with External Relations Lead in the subject line.
Apparel Impact Institute is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.